This no fail and perfect recipe was handed (Or rather emailed ) to me by my oh so talented neighbor. My ex-neighbour to be exact as I had the misfortune to move and loose her company. A dentist by day, and a super cook mom by night, Miso could never go wrong with all the yummy carbs that she sent my way! The recipe she initially sent was from a website, which I tweaked to suit my taste..and have made it a family must!
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups shredded carrots
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
For the cheesy creamy topping which sets to a perfect crisp.
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 to 3 teaspoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
1. Heat oven to 180°C. Grease bottom and sides of a 8-inch or 9-inch round pan with shortening; lightly flour.
2. In large bowl, dump the sugar, oil and eggs , and mix with a wooden spoon.
3. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla and the salt; mix until smooth.
4. Here is where I use my trusted CLEAN hands, and mix in the shredded carrots and nuts. Its really impossible to do with a spoon.. but if you have the muscle go for it!
5. Pour into the pan (Yes you can lick your fingers to get the amazing taste to get you dancing).Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Once done, I take out the pan, and let it rest for 10 minutes. Then, according to a trick my mom taught me, I put the pan inside a plastic grocery bag (Make sure that the pan is cool to touch but still warm.. otherwise you will burn the plastic). Tie the top loosely to form a bubble around the pan, and leave it to cool. What this does is, that it builds the steam inside from the heat of the cake, and keeps the cake soft and moist. This is perfect trick for any cake, to ensure it doesn’t become dry when cooled.
7. Wait for the cake to be cold before making the topping.
8. For the topping, I just put all the ingredients in a blender/mixer, and mix till smooth. Do not worry if the solution is runny. When you pour this over the cake, it will set into a nice layer.
So give it a try..and bless Miso and I for this yummy-licious cake recipe!