If you have been following my blog, you would know that I have fallen in love with my Instant Pot. I am now always looking for ways to use this amazing appliance without having to turn my stove on. Last night I decided to cook Channa Masala in my Instant Pot with a recipe which is a fusion of simple ingredients. I turned on the Instant Pot and headed to bed. Woke up to perfectly cooked and yummy Channa Masala! Served them with store-bought Puris.
You can read my review on the Instant Pot here.
You can make this recipe at anytime. I simply started it the night before, so as to wakeup to these yummy Channa Masala.
Channa- Chick peas : 1 Cup
Fried Onions: 1/2 cup
Shan Chana Masala : 3 TBSP
Cooking oil: 1/2 -1 cup (I prefer only 1/2 cup- You can add the whole 1 cup if you like the oily topping)
Water: 4 cups
This is the beauty of the recipe. That there are hardly any steps!
- Start by washing the chickpeas and add it in the Instant Pot. Top it with the onions, spice, water and oil.
- Mix well.
- Start the Instant Pot on ‘Beans’ setting for 40 minutes. If you do not have this setting, simply put the Instant Pot on High Pressure for 40 minutes.
- Once done, let it cool and release pressure on its own.
- Open and stir. If you prefer a thicker Channa Masala, turn on the Instant Pot to dry it a bit. For us, it was perfect as is.
- Serve topped with green chillies and chopped Dhania.
I used store bough fried onions, which were non-coated. You may choose to make them yourself. In that case, use a medium onion.
I did not pre-soak the chickpeas. If you decide to do soak them, then reduce the cooking time by 15 minutes.
Let me know if you try this recipe 🙂