Tamatar ki chutney ho tou aisi!
I was introduced to this chutney at my Aunty Sayedah’s place while growing up in Jeddah. This was staple at their household. However, it was a supremely yummy treat for me!
I can easily eat spoonfuls of this. This chutney is cooked, so it can stay good up to a week. Or maybe more. We never have any left at the end of the week to know otherwise.
- Cooking oil : 1/2 cup
- Rai Dana 1 TBSP (black mustard seeds)
- Garlic paste: 1/2 tsp
- Fresh green chili: 2-3 slices (as per your hotness liking)
- Whole red chilies : 2
- Kari leaves : 2-3
- Canned tomatoes (chopped or whole)
- Chili powder: 1/4 tsp
- Salt: 1/4 tsp
- Heat the oil in a deep sauce pan.
- Add the Rai seeds, garlic paste, green chilies, whole red chilies and Kari leaves one by one. Fry just till the ingredients start changing color.
- Add the can of tomatoes and spices. Use a smasher/spatula to make the sauce smooth.
- You know that the sauce is done, when the color changes to a deep red.
- Let the sauce cool. It can be easily stored in fridge in a jar. I am storing it in my mom’s cute Villeroy & Boch jar set.
The sauce/chutney is an excellent condiment for kebabs, pakoras and chicken roast. Also, in our house, we love it as a spread in a cheese sandwich.
Have you made this? Will you make it? Share with me!